CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

I WATCHED THE WATCHMEN


I finally saw it. And what can I say? I thought it was awesome. I loved the graphic novel and I, like everyone else who read it, was very sceptical if ZACK SNYDER was the right man for the job. Can he do it? 300 was a nice flick, but it wasn't the most demanding piece of fiction to say the least. WATCHMEN on the other hand is a very complex graphic novel, with an almost insane amount of details and subplots and... well crazy shit going on. Can he do it? YES HE CAN!
WATCHMEN is one hell of a flick. SYNDER manages to stay true to the novel and still delivers a very entertaining blockbuster. Of course some things are missing, but it didn't harm the story at all.
As we could expect, the movie is visually stunning. And it's so violent and explicit, I still can't believe the amount of gore I've witnessed. But it's not like a BRUCKHEIMER-esque adaptation of good material, it's deep, it takes its time to tell the story and describe the characters (with the exception of Veidts character, which in my opinion should have gotten more attention) and embraces them properly. This movie is almost on par with THE DARK KNIGHT and I love how dark, explicit and badass Hollywood can be, if you let the right people do their job.

However, I can understand, that this movie isn't suited for everyone. It is not your average superhero flick. It's confusing at times (especially if you have not read the graphic novel), it's complex and it mixes sort of reality with very strange fiction and it calls on your imagination. You definitely have to let yourself go on this one.

When something as big as WATCHMEN gets adapted for the big screen, you alyways have those hardcore fans, that bitch about every little piece, that's missing from the original or they moan about changes, with no regard of how those changes work or fit for the movie. They bitch about LORD OF THE RINGS, they bitch about HARRY POTTER and of course they will bitch about WATCHMEN. Don't you believe em. This is a movie. It is not the graphic novel, it's an adaptation. And a great one, I might add. This movie comes as close to the original, as I can imagine a movie could get. If you read the graphic novel and expect that exact same feeling that you had when you first read it from the movie, than you're an idiot. Is it impossible to like or even worship a great novel like LOTR or WATCHMEN and STILL like the adaptations? No it's not, if it's done as good as this. All you hardcore geeks, should get your thumbs outta your ass and enjoy this motion picture version of one of the best graphic novels of all times. Let me tell you this: I even like the ending of the movie better than the version of the graphic novel! Yeah, I said it! I can imagine how ALAN MOORE sits at home thinking "damn, why didn't I come up with that twist?".
I tip my hat to all those involved in the making of this flick.

Can't wait to see the directos cut!

8 Comments:

  1. Anonym said...
    Can't wait to see the directos cut!

    Ohja darauf freu ich mich jetzt auch schon. Dann mit dem Tod von Hollis und Black Freighter ;)
    Anonym said...
    I haven't read the novel but I am so looking forward to watching this movie. I'm gonna have to wait for it to be shown in a nearby theatre that shows movies in english, because I have a feeling that watching it in german would ruin the experience. Maybe I'll even read the novel afterwards. Thumbs up Etienne, finally a fan who gives Novel-Adaptions the respect they deserve!
    Anonym said...
    I finally got to watch the Watchmen in english and, altough I expected it to be something completely different, I still liked it very much. I'll gonna read the novel now and I am looking forward to some in depth details about each and every character.
    Anonym said...
    I finally got to watch the Watchmen in english and, altough I expected it to be something completely different, I still liked it very much. I'll read the novel now and I am looking forward to some in depth details about each and every character.
    Anonym said...
    Hey Etienne

    machst du mal ein Beitrag über Serien?
    Welche du schaust und gut findest?
    Wär mal cool.
    Anonym said...
    "Noch ne Web 2.0 Applikation, die ich nicht regelmäßig update."

    jaja...hier wär auch mal ein update fällig ;P
    stivikivi said...
    woahh i hope your eddy (i see no name on the blog >.<)
    i always liked your opinion about movies on screen and BÄMM
    i watched the watchmen too and damn your so right
    this is like the first review i read where nobody mention the penis of dr M
    they decrease the movie just on that and nit pick the shit out of it
    like spending too much time on the opening(i loved it xD) or the changed ending
    i dindt read the graphic novel but i going to do that after i saw the movie and i heard about the ending with the giant alien thing and like the ending of the movie more(perhaps because i just saw it first but it make more sense for me)
    and for me this movie is better then The dark knight because batman isnt so much intrening after years then a few ne charas
    dunno if you read it or understand it @_@
    but ya i like how you saw the movie XDDD
    jorge vicente said...
    well, it sounds promising!!!

Post a Comment



Älterer Post Startseite